LearnLaunch Accelerator, one of the world’s leading education technology startup programs, today hosted its third Demo Day at District Hall in Seaport, South Boston, Mass. Entrepreneurs from six education technology startups pitched their innovative technology products and business plans developed during LearnLaunch Accelerator’s immersive, four-month program to a packed room of more than 200 angel investors, venture capitalists and education leaders.
Now in its third year, LearnLaunch Accelerator attracts edtech startups from around the world. Tackling some of education’s toughest problems, each of the startups received seed funding, participated in LearnLaunch Accelerator’s intensive four-month mentoring and business development program, and received access to services and office space at LearnLaunch Campus. Mentors included successful technology and education entrepreneurs, investors and educators.
“This group of companies approached very specific, targeted niches and is creating some of the most promising technology solutions in education,” said Liam Pisano, Managing Director for LearnLaunch. “They all have made tremendous progress and have benefited from the immersive curriculum and robust network, highlighting our ability to serve both pre-revenue and revenue generating companies.”
In addition to the companies’ presentations, Demo Day featured a panel discussion on exits in edtech featuring Bill Collatos, co-founder of Spectrum Equity, and Matt Greenfield, co-founder of Rethink Education, as well as a welcome from Massachusetts Secretary of Education Jim Peyser.
“Edtech has been an area of interest for us for several years. As represented in the recent sale of Lynda.com to LinkedIn, it is an area exhibiting substantial growth, value and compelling investment opportunity,” said Bill Collatos, co-founder of Spectrum Equity.
“At Rethink Education, we are seeing a broad range of opportunities,” said Matt Greenfield, co-founder of Rethink Education. “We see that many edtech firms establish long and profitable relationships with their customers, which builds value for both educational systems and investors.”
The companies graduating from the LearnLaunch Accelerator’s Winter 2015 Program are:
- Authess: (Boston, MA) – Creator of authentic, problem-based assessment activities that measure how a learner applies their knowledge, how well they do it, and how they can improve.
- Education Modified: (Brooklyn, NY) – A platform that empowers teachers who serve students with special needs using the latest research-based strategies and Learning Biographies for seamless collaboration.
- Knowledge to Practice:(Washington, DC) – An education technology firm improving patient-centered care through personalized, mastery-based postgraduate medical education.
- NI-O Toys: (Tel Aviv, Israel)- Creator of the toys of the future – customizable 3D printed smart toys that merge technology with interactive play experiences, unleashing imagination among kids.
- Pip Learning Technologies:(Boston, MA) – The Trust Platform® service helps school districts manage access to 3rd party systems holding sensitive data, reducing cost and complexity for both sides while respecting student privacy guidelines.
- Quill (Brooklyn, NY)- A literacy tool that builds students’ grammar skills through personalized writing and proofreading activities.
About LearnLaunch Accelerator
LearnLaunch Accelerator is a leading edtech startup program, personalized for each entrepreneur. After a highly selective application process, LearnLaunch accelerator provides the most promising edtech startups worldwide with seed funding, an unmatched team of mentors, intensive coaching and all the tools needed to grow a successful edtech startup. LearnLaunch Accelerator fund provides a diversified platform for early stage edtech investors.
LearnLaunch is dedicated to connecting, supporting, and growing the education technology ecosystem to drive innovation and transform learning. We are a vibrant community, delivering educational events, a selective accelerator program and a collaborative co-working space. We are based in Boston, a world education hub. For more information, visit www.learnlaunch.com and follow LearnLaunch on Twitter at @learnlaunch.